Quick shop them here:
A little history...
Let's cut right to the chase, shall we? I'm a shoes/handbag kinda girl. Do I love clothes? Yes. Accessories? Who doesn't. But at the end of the day, I would buy a pair of shoes or a new purse over pretty much everything else. Every. Single. Time.
How did you narrow it down to these five?
As some of you already know, I recently purged my closet of (almost) everything I owned. It was dramatic...and necessary. But that's an entirely different post!
In some cases I went with function, in others I went exclusively with style. I tried to consider my current wardrobe, but also took note of past purchases. I wanted to be extremely informed and think about the bags that I always grab for, and the ones that just sat on the shelf - and why. I tried to take my past purchases and use them as a helpful guide for the new ones I was thinking about adding to my collection.
Let's talk details:
CULT GAIA - Gaia's Small Ark Clutch:
First on my list because it is my favorite! This was one of the bags I was referring to when I said I "insta-stalked" it for well over a year. This bag kept popping up in my feed for almost two years before I decided to get one for myself. The first season it felt too trendy to invest in. But when it came back the second spring, I knew I had to have it.
- Likes: it makes a serious statement! The structure and interest elevate any outfit.
- Dislikes: I have the small and it doesn't carry much. I can fit my massive wallet, iPhone and keys - not much more. It's made in a way that allows some smaller items, like keys, to poke through if you aren't careful. This feature doesn't bother me, but may be something to consider for you.
CLARE V. - Supreme Haircalf Fold Over Clutch:
This is the other bag I saw on every blogger and their mother for years before investing in my own. Who was it that said "leopard is a neutral?" She's right. As you can see in the photos above I'm not afraid to mix leopard with everything. Stripes, camouflage, even florals. I'm all in.
- Likes: EVERYTHING. But seriously, I can't think of anything I don't love about this bag.
- Dislikes: I've yet to experience this for myself, but looking down the line I can see the possibility of wear showing on the calf hair. But honestly, I'm not one to be overly "careful" with my bags. I want to use them, love them, and live in them! Of course I'll take care of it...but I got this clutch to use it, not just look at it sitting pretty on my shelf. Ya feel me?
FOREVER 21 - Half Moon Straw Tote:
Every spring I'm drawn to a new straw bag. A few years back I purchased a giant beach tote from Target that has held up surprisingly well. This year I wanted something I could use day to day. I'm a huge believer in "buy what you like" philosophy. Don't get caught up in the hype of certain brand names. Look for quality. By nature, straw bags aren't something that will last forever. Having said that, this less expensive option is actually really well made and something I can see sticking around for at least a few years. And for under $20.00, that's saying something.
- Likes: The size of this bag is perfect for my stage of life. It's big enough to fit my things, plus a diaper/small case of wipes. It's well made, and I love the circle handle detail. You also can't beat the price!
- Dislikes: Again, down the road I can see this bag showing wear, but I'm not overly concerned with it!
URBAN OUTFITTERS - Caged Handheld Clutch (Black):
This is SUCH a good "dupe" to the pricey Cult Gaia. So good actually, that I grabbed one for myself! I love the idea of wearing this cool bag all year round. Because it's black it isn't exclusively a "spring" handbag, at least not here in Southern California. On a side note, Urban's handbag game is on point right now...I'll link some of them below.
- Likes: Price point, interest, style, the list goes on.
- Dislikes: Coming in with an even smaller interior space than my other caged clutch, it makes it difficult to fit the necessities in comfortably. Consider a card case for your ID + credit cards if you are going to carry this bag. Outside of an iPhone and keys, it won't carry much else.
KATE SPADE NEW YORK - Kingston Drive - Simona Leather Backpack:
Last, and most definitely not least is this backpack! For someone who has serious back problems, this was just too practical NOT to get. It's basically medicinal. All kidding aside, this caught my eye for so many reasons. First, truly was the fact that carrying a bag like this distributes the weight more proportionately across your shoulders and back. Second was the fact that it is super functional - like a hybrid between my full on baby bag and everyday handbag. I also love that it has that top handle so you don't have to carry it as a traditional backpack 24/7.
- Likes: Style is at the top of this list. Most backpacks feel more geared towards serious function - more school or work like. But this style seems like a true hybrid of a beautiful handbag, but with the function and space of a backpack. (It's deceptively huge on the inside!)
- Dislikes: The first day I wore this I had a new black tee on, and the color rubbed off a little on the soft leather. It's not something you would even notice if you didn't already know it was there, but I do have to be a little more careful with this one due to the material and color.
Shop my exact top five handbags for spring:
(My straw bag is sold out. I didn't include it here, but I'll link a few straw styles below!)
Shop more cage style clutches:
Shop more print styles: